Most of us are heavy users of our smart devices -- for tasks like accessing local information such as weather, social media, banking, reading the news and searching for local services. These interactions would be meaningless without users sharing personal information. Whether using biometrics to unlock your iPhone, or sharing your location information to play Pokemon Go; personal information is crucial in extracting all the benefits your smart device has to offer. The more benefits users see in sharing their personal data, the more willing they are to actually do so. We’ve pulled together the most useful benefits for consumers who choose to share their personal location data through their smart devices.
Safety and Security
Location data plays a key role in smart devices ensuring child safety, providing parents with peace of mind knowing their children are safe and where they should be. Similarly location data helps emergency workers in locating elders who might be alone and in need of assistance in the case of an emergency.
Location data also plays a key role when it comes to personal financial security -- in the case of stolen identity or fraudulent charges. By sharing your location data with your financial institution, you can help ascertain where you are located at a given time and whether you are responsible for specific transactions. If a transaction occurs 1,000 miles away from where you’re located, it’s clearly a fraudulent transaction.
More Personalized and Relevant Content
Your smart devices are continuously learning from your behaviors and habits. Introducing location data into the mix only enables your smart devices to serve you with personalized and relevant content like:
- Providing you push notifications on traffic patterns for your route to work
- Notifying you of any specials or coupons that may be available at your daily coffee stop
- Virtual concierge service, based on your location at any given time. Your device can deliver personalized content like offers from a particular store you are about to enter, or suggestions for best dining options around you
Travel is another activity where users rely heavily on their smart devices. Whether it be to access a boarding pass, to get directions from the airport to your hotel, or to schedule taxi service pickups. Smart devices can help improve your travel experience in ways never before imagined:
- Keeping your family and friends notified of your whereabouts as you travel
- Virtual concierge service, get suggestions based on venues you have historically visited
- Ask for help from locals - suggestions for dinner and local attractions, or if you’re stuck on the highway with a flat tire
- Log your stops and share your favorite destinations with family and friends
The “State of the Connected Customer” report states that 57% of consumers are willing to give up personal information and data, but there needs to be a positive return. While there may be a “creepy” factor associated with sharing your location, when done correctly and respecting user anonymity, sharing location data through smart devices can be extremely valuable.